My bags were packed. I had everything ready to go. Everything was sold and all the bills were paid. I was flying out on Tuesday.
After an unexpected call from Washington, DC late yesterday afternoon, everything is suddenly on hold. I was shocked and have been processing the news ever since.
I now have to make some decisions. I am happy to have a few more weeks to spend with my loved ones, but I cannot do this for long.
I am thinking that I can afford one delay, but if this drags out too long, I will need to make some new plans. I will need to look into work, a vehicle, a place to stay. I will also need to consider long term decisions about the direction of my life. Do I stay in Charleston? Do I try to find a new career? Do I continue with the Peace Corps?
In many ways, I am in a great place. I literally have no baggage holding me back. I can absolutely craft a new path and design my life as I please. The question is, what will that look like? I have some meditation to do.
I have not been blogging about my Peace Corps experience for a bit. There were several reasons for this.
The decision to join the Peace Corps and go to Mozambique has been a deeply personal one, that has elicited conflicting responses from friends and family. I would be lying if I said that I have not had second and third thoughts about this. I am leaving my life for 27 months, and at this point, I am down to the final stages.
I have been sitting in literal limbo for three weeks now.
I was all set to ship out to Mozambique when the last minute delay due to visa issues derailed everything. Since then, I have been trying to calculate my next steps.
This has been frustrating because I have already sold everything, and now find myself between homes and without a car. I have been blessed to have a friend who has generously allowed me the use of his spare vehicle, but this is only temporary.
Our next departure date is set for 6 days from now, and it looks like there may be another delay, yet I have no details.
I have been pulled between wanting to just cancel everything and hoping this would just hurry and happen. I know that I can stay, although I will need to get a new car. This means I will have new financial obligations and need to return to full-time work. I have no issue with this, but I do not want to make a commitment only to back out.
I have been balancing on the edge, unable to make informed decisions …